Saturday, March 11, 2023

FIVE FAVORITE TROPES OF AN IRISH MYSTERY by Yvonne Saxon

 


When you think of a cozy Irish mystery, what’s the first thing that comes to mind? Castles? Abbeys? Ghosts? Me too! I readily admit that I enjoy the Irish mystery stereotypes. In fact, I’m of the opinion that if a mystery is set in Ireland, it better have one or more of the following familiar elements!

First and foremost, the mystery must have ancient ruins! Give me castles with high battlements, broken walls, and stone staircases so I can question if the victim jumped or was pushed? Lots of drafty secret passages great for spying, kidnapping, or escaping, and centuries old weapons affixed to the wall or the requisite suit of armor. Also at least one ancient church or abbey must make an appearance. Gravestones and a wandering monk or two (either alive or dead) add to the atmosphere. Disappearing relics or Celtic artifacts really get my attention. Stone circles, like the Piper’s Stones in County Wicklow with their mystic background tend to send a shiver up my spine.

Second on my list is an eccentric cast of characters. Busybodies bicycling around the thatched roof cottages in a country village, and codgers spouting wit and wisdom with their pint of Guinness in a corner booth are some of my favorites. Let’s not forget the crazy Laird of the manor, either!

The third Irish mystery trope I expect is the local pub, or “the local.” Like an “extended living room where, if you don’t mind the stickiness, you can feel the pulse of Ireland,” (www.ricksteves.com) every Irish mystery should have one. Where else are you going to overhear gossip and more importantly, clues while you’re throwing darts?

Fourth, bring on the music! Irish fiddlers, dancers, pipers, and bands have to be featured in some part of the book. It may be a mystery, but even suspects need to have a bit of foot-stomping fun! Strains of music coming from a castle turret or a ruined monastery on a moonless night enhance the suspense, too.

My fifth favorite Irish mystery element is magic. We all love to escape into a magical world of leprechauns, fairies, enchanted forests and four-leaf clovers bringing us luck and the solution to the case.

What are your favorite parts of an Irish mystery? Did I leave out one that you particularly enjoy? Let me know in the comments. May the “luck of the Irish” be with you!

7 comments:

Max Jason Peterson said...

Thanks so much for this! Our family is Irish (on Mom's side), and I love celebrating in whatever way I can. Not only do I love Irish mysteries (Father Brown being an early favorite--all the way from Grandpa!), I love the way you conjured the setting and flavor of Ireland in this post, bringing it all home!

Jayne Ormerod said...

So timely, with St. Paddy's Day right around the corner! You've got me hankerin' for a good Irish mystery! For non-mystery Irish fiction, might I recommend Marion Keyes or Maeve Binchy. May the luck o' the Irish be with you, too, my friend!

Yvonne Saxon said...

Nothing better than an Irish mystery in the middle of March! I also enjoy both of those authors!

Raquel Batchelor said...

Love this! I want all things magical AND the castle! ��

Yvonne Saxon said...

And a pot of gold to go with it! Thanks!

Teresa Inge said...

All of this makes a great Irish mystery. I can picture it now. Thanks!!

Yvonne Saxon said...

I’d love to see Ireland first hand, wouldn’t you?

IS TRUTH REALLY STRANGER THAN FICTION? by Penny Hutson

  On a recent sojourn to one of my favorite places, Barnes and Noble, I found the most unusual book. While searching for anything I could fi...