Saturday, March 16, 2024

IS THE PEN STILL MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD? PART 4-AGATHA CHRISTIE-THE BIG DEBATE. By KIMBERLY THORN



I want to have some fun with this blog post. So it’s time for you to tell me some things. I hope you enjoy and will respond! 

 





Ok, so now for the great debate. Who is it for you? Marple or Poirot? And why?

For me, I am a diehard Poirot fan. Maybe it’s him being French, oops, sorry, I mean him being from Belgium that helps me love his character but I do. Actually I have found out recently something about myself that I think makes me relate to him more. Or at least I think I can understand where he comes from some.  

It’s to do with his appearance and his talking. Because he is excessive in his dress and very precise in his speech, which is with a French accent, people do not think he is very smart. He is consistently being overlooked. And while people are not noticing him, he is very observant and is taking note of everything. He may not say much, but he’s listening and thinking. No, he’s not eavesdropping, but he’s in the conversation without really being in the conversation because he’s not always taking part in actual dialogue.  

Instead, he’s learning all he can about the people around him. He sort of reminds me of Peter Falk’s television character Columbo. While Columbo is all disheveled, looking like he just woke up from having slept all night in his clothes and tan overcoat, Poirot is immaculately dressed. One is not dressed well enough, with unkempt hair because he keeps running his hands through it and the other one is overly dressed, not a stray hair out of sync with his mustache. Suspects think Columbo is dumb because he can’t figure out anything and has to ask them every step of the way. They think Poirot is dumb because he sounds French and asks meaningless, stupid questions and, well, walks like a penguin. Suspects know that they are smarter than these two men! Ultimately, it is this under estimating that gets the murder caught.  

This is what I can relate to with both Poirot and Columbo. I talk and people automatically deduct IQ points. I also don’t dress fancy. I’m really pretty simple and plain, usually I wear the color black.  My mom would tell me I wore too much black and that I looked like I’m in a constant state of mourning!” Not that I won’t rock some rhinestone-covered flat shoes but that’s really as fancy as I get. And until you get to know me well, I may not say much. Thus, I am forgettable and people tend to underestimate me. Until recently I thought that was a bad thing, but I’ve come to realize, thanks to Poirot and Columbo, that it doesn’t have to be! Through Christie and her characters I’m learning to accept who I am and it’s giving me confidence in myself and as a writer that I didn’t have before.          

 

Can you relate to a character?  If so who and why?


And while we’re on the subject of great debates…..if you are a Poirot fan, what do you think of Captain Hastings?  Gallant buffoon or ole romantic softy?

 

I love Hastings. He makes me laugh, snort out loud! He is such a character and so clueless at times. He falls in love so easily and I think he sees himself as a romantic hero. You know the knight in shining armor type! 

 


By the way, what do you think of the different portrayals of Marple and Poirot? Who is your favorite and why? Specifically, what do you think of Kenneth Braugh’s modern take on Poirot?


While I think his adaptions are entertaining to watch, I just don’t see him as Poirot. He doesn’t look like how I think Christie describes Poirot. And he is way too active and adventurous to be Poirot. Let’s face it, Poirot is a great many things, but he doesn’t run and he certainly would not chase a suspect onto the scaffolding of a train track. He’d send Hastings!




Photos: Google

5 comments:

Max Jason Peterson said...

I love all of Agatha Christie so much! She's brilliant. In fact, I love her appearance on Doctor Who, in the episode "The Unicorn and the Wasp." I would choose Poirot because I love him so much--for many of the reasons you mentioned. I also love his friendship with Hastings and with Ariadne Oliver, another character I love, who was a humorous stand-in for Christie herself, and through whom she poked gentle fun at herself and her own creations. Brilliant!

Kim Thorn said...

Thanks Max! Poirot is so awesome! I am not a fan of Oliver at all. I thought I’d like Tina Fey’s recent adaption of her character but nope. I don’t think Oliver is a true friend of Poirot. She seems at least to me that she only calls on him when she needs him. But I do have to say my favorite Poirot story is a Halloween party. Although i think if could have been done without Oliver! And omg I didn’t know Agatha was in an episode of doctor who! I have been wanting to start watching it as I’ve heard so much about it but I haven’t yet. But knowing she’s on there makes me wanna watch it more now!

Jenna said...

I am a die hard Marple fan. I've read all the Agatha Christie mysteries and while I love the Poirots, I love Marple's take on murder in village life. She is a student of character and I love that she knows people so well she can solve the murders easily. My favorite Marple mystery is The Moving Finger and my favorite Poirot is probably Murder on the Orient Express, although I also love Cat Among the Pigeons. I haven't seen any Marple movies, but my favorite Poirot portrayal is Albert Finney's in Murder on the Orient Express in the 70s I think. Great post, Kim!

Kim Thorn said...

Thanks Jenna! You’re so right about Miss Marple. She does seem to know people well and it’s so funny to me that she seems to relate everyone to someone she knows in St Mary Meade. I don’t think I’ve seen that particular episode of Murder on the Orient Express with Finney but believe me, I’m definitely gonna check it out!

Teresa Inge said...

Great post! I always loved Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple!

Mystery Authors' Pets by Catty Doggens, Guest Bloogger

  James Patterson's cat Many of our favorite mysteries include pets, and in homage to May being National Pet Month, here are some myster...