Saturday, November 5, 2022

RECIPES OF WRITING by Sheryl Jordan

 

A co-worker gave me a Strawberry Pretzel Dessert recipe over 35 years ago when I was living in Minnesota. It quickly became a  favorite dessert of my family which I make for most holiday celebrations. It’s a relatively simple recipe with only seven ingredients, but it tastes so delightful!

I didn’t get to make this desert much during the summer holidays as we were quite busy. We sold our previous home, and moved into an apartment, putting most of our possessions in storage. Throughout July we traveled quite a bit for our family. We traveled to New York for a quick getaway. Upon returning home, we found a home we love and put an offer in. We then traveled to Washington, D.C. with our daughter and grandchildren so they could see some of the beautiful historical landmarks of the city. We returned to Norfolk and prepared for a quick trip to Chicago for a family gathering.  We closed on the new house and moved in the latter part of September. We are still moving things from the storage unit into the new home. All of this is going on while we are both working demanding jobs, making sure the grandkids come over each weekend and trying to get settled in at our new home.

As I am planning for the upcoming holiday meals, I often think about how writing mysteries is like cooking recipes. You start with the basic recipe, then add a sprinkle of this and a pinch of that, and wallah, you have a unique creation.

While my experiences in writing mysteries are not that of an expert, my research has led to some common themes. Good mysteries need to have the following basic ingredients:

Characters – There should be the main character, whether a human, furry four-legged, alien, or ghostly persuasion.  They need to be described with details so that the reader can see them and know them well. It is important to have other characters as well. These secondary characters help to support the main character or cause conflict for the character.

Setting - The location of where the story takes place is a vital piece of the story. Whether it is a real place and time or made up, description details should allow the reader to visualize the setting as if they are there.

Plot – This is the basis of the entire story. It must have a beginning, middle, and ending that are clear and suspenseful. The reader will be able to follow and understand the scenes as the story propels forward.

Problem – Something needs to be solved. It can be a murder needing to be solved, a theft, a kidnapping, or anything you desire. It contains clues to help the characters figure out who did the crime and why. It’s fun to throw in fake clues to add more suspense for the reader and the characters.

Solution – This is how the crime is solved. The author must include all clues throughout the story which point to the solution. A sprinkle of hidden clues makes for a more intriguing mystery. Remember, the resolution of the crime must be believable.

While there are basic ingredients to cooking recipes and writing a mystery, each author has their own processes and techniques to get to the final outcome.

The recipe I use for Strawberry Pretzel Dessert is as follows:

Ingredients

1 large box of Strawberry Jell-O

1 package of frozen sliced strawberries

2 cups crushed salted pretzel sticks

½ cup (1 stick) of margarine melted

1-3/4 cups sugar

1 8 0z package of Philadelphia Original cream cheese

1 large Cool Whip

Prepare Strawberry Jell-O as directed on the box. Pour into a bowl and chill in the refrigerator for about an hour or until Jell-O starts to slightly set. Add thawed strawberry slices to the Jell-O mixture and chill for about another hour or until Jell-O is more set but still pourable.

While Jell-o is setting, prepare the crust.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place crushed pretzels in a 9x13 in baking pan. Add 3/4 cup of sugar to pretzels and stir until well mixed. Add melted butter and stir until well mixed. Evenly spread mixture in pan. Bake for 6-8 minutes in preheated oven.

While the crust is baking, prepare the middle filling.

In a mixing bowl, add cream cheese and 1 cup of sugar. Use an electric mixer to mix well. Add the large cool whip to the cream cheese mixture and mix well. When the crust is completely cooled, spread the cream cheese/cool whip mixture evenly on the crust. Cover and place in refrigerator.

When Jell-o is set enough, pour on top cream cheese/cool whip mixture, cover, and refrigerate overnight. Enjoy!

You can change the Jell-O and fruit to whatever you like, raspberry, or orange, or even mix the Jell-O flavor with different fruits. I prefer strawberry, but sometimes I use more pretzels for a thicker crust or more sliced strawberries to the Jell-o for a fruitier dessert.

Like a recipe, there must be certain ingredients in writing a great mystery. The fun in it is you can be as creative as you like. You have some measurements of the ingredients. For instance, your setting details should not be longer than your plot.

There are many tips for writing a mystery. A couple of which stand out to me are reading mysteries, a lot! I have learned many writing styles, what works, and what doesn’t work by reading many books and reading often.

Another common tip is to write, rewrite, and rewrite again. I have learned the importance of many rounds of editing in producing a well-polished story.

I enjoy cooking and baking as much as I enjoy writing. Both are expressions of creativity. Each has basic ingredients to use, but when you add your own twists to those ingredients you have your masterpiece!

There are many resources about writing mysteries but here are a few I find interesting and helpful:

https://www.our-lady.lincs.sch.uk/_documents/%5B564507%5DFive_Essential_Elements_of_a_Mystery.pdf

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/how-to-write-a-gripping-mystery-novel#4ArWtIa3dG0RkTkMPXd4ve

https://www.scholastic.com/content/dam/teachers/lesson-plans/migrated-featured-files/jan_ingredientsmystery.pdf

https://www.creative-writing-now.com/

https://www.novelsuspects.com/author-essay/the-perfect-recipe-for-a-cozy-mystery

11 comments:

Michael Rigg said...

Thanks, Sheryl. Very interesting, entertaining, and delicious. I think I see the beginnings of a new mystery -- The Strawberry Pretzel Murders!

And I'm jealous. I'm a pantser when it comes to writing. Try as I might, I can't seem to follow a recipe, i.e., an outline. And the same goes with cooking.

Following up on your dessert theme, I once made a dish for an office pot luck. It was called "Cajun Twinkie Pie." The ingredients? Twinkies, strawberry pie filling, and Cool Whip. And the plot? Line the bottom of a rectangle baking dish (or similar container), cover the Twinkies with strawberry pie filling, and smother it all with with Cool Whip. A few hours in the refrigerator and you're ready to go.

Hmmm. Maybe I know why I haven't published my novel yet...

Sheryl Jordan said...

Thank you, Michael! Ha! I love the title and will definitely try to work it into a story! I can follow cooking recipes easily, but not so much with writing! I have tried the various suggested techniques, but I don't write using an outline either. I do make sure I include the basic elements involved in writing mysteries but always add my own twists. We get to the end no matter which styles work for us. I am sure you will publish your novel soon! I can't wait to read it!

If I liked Twinkies I would definitely try your recipe. I wonder why it's called "Cajun Twinkie Pie" though? When I think of Cajun food I usually think it will be spicy. LOL!

Michael Rigg said...

Sheryl -- The Twinkie Pie was for a Mardi Gras themed potluck. I figured Mardi Gras Twinkie Pie was too formal, so "Cajun" it became...

Sheryl Jordan said...

Ahh, very creative!

Teresa Inge said...

Love the food recipes and writing mysteries similarities! They are both a creation. Thanks for adding the basics of creating a mystery. It’s on point with writing mysteries! Great article!

Sheryl Jordan said...

Thank you Teresa! I find similarities in two of things I enjoy most, cooking and writing!

Max Jason Peterson said...

That sounds so delicious, Sheryl! It seems especially appropriate to mix recipes with writing (metaphorically and literally), considering that there are so many mysteries that either involve food as the murder weapon, or that include intriguing recipes as one of their "special features"!

Jayne Ormerod said...

I agree, writing a mystery is like preparing a favorite recipe...must include specific ingredients! I am going to try the Strawberry Pretzel Dessert!

Sheryl Jordan said...

Thanks, Adele! It really is delicious! I hope to write a story that includes this desert as a potential murder weapon!

Sheryl Jordan said...

Thanks, Jayne! I think you will really enjoy the dessert! Let me know if you try it!.

Judy Fowler said...

Thanks, Sheryl. In baking and in mystery writing, I like to use what I have on hand. [The practice doesn't work well when I have to change all my characters names before publishing because I used the names of people I knew in real life.] As I read I acquired a great dessert idea and the plot ingredients for stories in a future SinC anthology: Culinary Crimes!

"Plot ingredient" one: Bless anyone who remembers where they put that unforgettable recipe they once begged for but then lost.
"Plot ingredient two": Members of my mother's social circle used to harass each other until they shared their "secret" recipes. When the result didn't quite taste as good as the original, Mom suspected her friends of altering the ingredients (or the amounts)and, by so doing, keeping the recipe a secret.
Sinister use for a beloved recipe "plot ingredient": Someone shows up with the only known recipe card handwritten by Grandma for her spice cake. What if that someone gives it to the victim for murderous reasons, knowing they will bake it exactly as written and can't resist gobbling it up? Or if Grandma altered the recipe on that one "long lost" card to get Grandpa's money?


Mystery Authors' Pets by Catty Doggens, Guest Bloogger

  James Patterson's cat Many of our favorite mysteries include pets, and in homage to May being National Pet Month, here are some myster...