Saturday, May 27, 2023

GETTING BEATEN UP! By: Kimberly Thorn

I am still hard at work researching another awesome writer to share with you how they helped make the pen mightier than the sword.  While I work on that, I felt you needed to have some fun. I know I do at least. Until next time, when I introduce a new timeless writer, I hope you enjoy the following!

***
Starting something new can be exhilarating but it can also be scary. Although I have written smaller pieces of prose, I have dreamed ever since I was a child that I would become a famous published author of novels. Specifically, that I would be listed on the New York Times Bestseller List. I am fast realizing that my dream is not going to be an easy one.  Writing a novel, any novel, but especially the first one is a tough job. It can be a big struggle. There are several reasons why. First, characters do not always do what you want them to do. Second, the greatest novel writers say that there should be a theme weaved into the novel. Third, writers need to know when to and when not to reveal certain information to the reader.

Characters do not do what you want them to do! As I write about Samantha, I want my readers to feel sorry for her. Not pity sorry but to feel bad is probably the best word. In order for me to achieve this goal I will put her in the perfect scene! Meeting her ex-fiancĂ© who had previously jilted her at the altar.  Better yet, this is the first time they would see each other face to face since their altercation. But the idea or at least my idea for the scene is for her ex to just completely trash talk her and she would not be able to reply or fight back. As I started typing the scene, Sam decided something different. She all of a sudden leapt out of the computer screen like a ninja. As she stood beside me, I could not inhale to get a breath in, much less speak to her! But before I could push out a breath, or even a word, she smacked me across my face giving me whiplash!  Finally, I was coherent although my face stung!


I scream, “why did you sl…?”

Sam interrupts, “me? Why are you letting this jerk talk to me like that?  You know it’s not true.”

“Get your butt back in the story, where you belong!  I’m the writer and you do what I tell ya!”

“Oh, I’ll get back in the story but I’ll listen to your directions when hell freezes over.” Sam jumps back in the computer as she mumbles, “we’re gonna do this MY way!”

The next thing I know, I’m typing like a madwoman.  But I have no control over what I’m typing.  It is the strangest thing. She beats the living daylights out of this guy. She looks like Bruce Lee kicking and hitting him until he slumps over and falls to the floor. Whew, talk about your characters doing stuff you did not plan on, I was NOT expecting that. Ugh, now I have to come up with another way for the reader to feel sorry for her.

Second, theme is important in a novel. In a fiction novel, while the main character should change, the reader should be left with an overall theme. This theme is something that reveals itself as the novel progresses. As a first time novel writer this is something difficult to wrap my head around. While the idea of the story is great, now I have to also come up with a theme? I struggle to write further. I’m afraid. I mean, I don’t want Sam to appear again and slap my face! As I rub my cheek, I struggle with my options.  As I see it, I really only have one. Continue to write the story first, then see if a theme becomes apparent as I am writing. If no theme shows up then maybe, just maybe, I can see one as I re-write. Coming to this realization, I squint my eyes as I continue to write the scene. Sam must be happy with that as she has not made an appearance. Yet.  

Third, knowing when to reveal the information the writer wants to show the reader. Again, this is a tough concept to a new writer of a longer piece. This one concept alone can make or break a novel right from the start. If the writer reveals too much information all at once the reader will not want to continue the book. On the other side, if the writer does not reveal enough information until the bitter end, it is too late. I have read many books that finished in a flash with all the information coming to an abrupt ending.  Or in a mystery I figure out who did it by page fifty because the writer gave too much information at one time. Nothing is more frustrating than that. Oh wait there is! When an author leaves out important information from the story. Especially in a mystery, where the reader could not have guessed who the culprit is because key clues were completely left out.  

This all is way too much to think about! Dialogue is tough enough as it is, but working with an over the top, strong willed character, including a theme and key timing in revealing information is just too much for an amateur novel writer. While writing my first novel I am learning that there is much more to writing a longer piece of prose than meets the eye. I am fast realizing that not only is my main character going through a journey of self discovery but I, as the writer am too. I also have a new-found respect for novel writers. After being assaulted by my main character I wonder what the likes of famous novelists actually endure. Like Stephen King? Yikes! Heck, maybe I’ll just stick to writing short stories!



4 comments:

Teresa Inge said...

Love how this describes characters and the writing process. Characters really do what they want during the process. When I write my stories the characters always go off in their own direction and I follow along. Good luck with writing your novel!

Emily said...

I really like this piece; it was a fun read. Looking forward to the next piece you said you were working on.

Chelsia said...

This is so enlightening & inspiring! As writers, this is also a fun/cute way to describe how characters do get away from us and take on their own personality! LOL LOL Thank you for sharing!!!

Cindy Anning said...

Very creative way to share your viewpoint as an up and coming writer. Love it!

CREATIVITY FOR THE LOVE OF IT, PART 2: FANWORKS by Max Jason Peterson

The Magicians by Lev Grossman This is the second post in my series about art for art’s sake.  Part One   focuses on poetry.  Today I’m going...