Saturday, December 31, 2022

HAPPY NEW YEAR! By the Sand in Our Shorts bloggers


All of the writers of the "Sand in our Shorts" blog wish all of our readers a wonderful year to come! We've put together some of our favorite poems to curl up with on a cold winter's day, so grab a blanket and a warm cup of cheer and enjoy!

Maria Hudgins: My favorite poem is "The Cremation of Sam McGee" by Robert Service.

"Now Sam McGee was from Tennessee . . ."

I like the start of this poem because I am from Tennessee, but much more important, it's the only poem that flies in the face of those who would make poetry the playground of the intelligencia. It is a poem for the average person. It is in iambic hexameter. It is funny! I read a bit about the background of the poem and discovered that it is not far removed from life in Alaska during the gold rush. There really was a guy incinerated in a ship’s boiler under very similar conditions. But this poem rolls off the tongue like a kid on new skates. It makes me giggle when I read it.

My first impulse is to say I like to read in bed, but the fact is, I go to sleep. It’s pleasant enough, but at a rate of 10 pages a night, I’d never finish a book. My next impulse is to say I like to read in a favorite spot, like the seashore. But the fact is, the seashore itself outshines the best book in the world. The doctor’s office?  I like to pretend that getting involved in a good book will make them call me in earlier, just to ruin my fantasy, but the fact is, I can’t forget that I’m in a doctor’s office waiting. I suppose I’m always looking for that book that is so good I forget where I am and what I have to do tomorrow.


Michael Rigg: Probably my favorite poet is Robert W. Service. He’s best known for his poems about the Yukon Gold Rush.  Among his works are “The Shooting of Dan McGrew,” “The Spell of the Yukon,” and “The Cremation of Sam McGee.”  But the one I like most is “The Men That Don’t Fit In.” It captures the spirit of wanderlust that characterizes adventurers and risk-takers, including Service himself. The poem begins:

There’s a race of men that don’t fit in,
A race that can’t stay still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
And they roam the world at will.

“The Men That Don’t Fit In” has thirty-three lines organized in four stanzas. Despite its brevity, the poem paints a haunting picture of hope, failure, and regret.

My favorite place to read, when the weather allows it, is sitting at the table in the screened-in porch on our deck. It overlooks our back yard and the small city park beyond. This “reading venue” provides solitude, while being surrounded by nature and activity in the park. When the weather outside is frightful, I move indoors and read while sitting on the couch in our family room.

Teresa Inge: Favorite Poem 

“A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.” — Walter Winchell

Favorite spot to read a book
In my pool in the summertime with a cold beverage in one hand and a good book in the other. In the spring, sitting on my back deck with a glass of wine, a good book, and low humidity. In the fall and winter, curling up on the couch with a blanket, hot cocoa, and a good mystery.

Sheryl Jordan: I don't read much poetry, but my favorite poet is Maya Angelo. I love everything I have read by her, but right now the one I love the most is "Phenomenal Woman".

She tells how being a phenomenal woman is from within. It's strength, courage, and confidence. It's not what society or people close to you think of physical looks. pretty, cute, or light-skinned, but about how a woman changes her weakness into strength.

I was in college when I first read this poem. The meaning of her words didn't sink in until I was far away from family in a city I knew nothing about with two young children. My husband was deployed for the first time and I was having a difficult time basically being alone. I made many friends and began working at the company I am still with today.
  
I have always had low self-esteem and lacked confidence in myself. I worked on these "flaws" because I wanted my children to see me as the strong, confident, black woman they needed to see in me.

When my husband returned from deployment, he said I was different. I asked him what he meant, and he replied that I had confidence that he hadn't noticed before.

My children are now adults and it is always a great joy to hear them tell me I am one of the strongest women they know!

Whenever I feel not so strong and need a boost of confidence, I read Maya Angelou's "Phenomenal Woman" again and again. It makes me feel empowered to be the confident me!

My favorite spot is on my couch with a blanket and a glass of wine. I do however read any and everywhere I can. I remember reading in a closet with a flashlight when I was around 11 or 12 years old. It was late at night and I didn't want my mom and dad to know I was still awake reading. Of course, mom comes into my room to check on me and I wasn't in the bed. I heard her calling my name and came out of the closet, scaring her. She grabbed me into her one of her wonderful hugs and told me not to ever do that again. She had thought I had gone missing.

I bring my phone charger, wine, and a blanket nowadays. Although I always have a flashlight close by just in case! :)

Yvonne Saxon: One of my favorite poems is "It Couldn't Be Done" by Edgar A. Guest. I found it when I was in high school and it has stayed with me ever since.  A short three stanzas long, it's a little bit of inspiration when you need it!

Somebody said that it couldn't be done,
But he with a chuckle replied
That "maybe it couldn't," but he would be one
Who wouldn't say so till he'd tried.
So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin
On his face. If he worried he hid it.
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
That couldn't be done, and he did it.

My favorite place to read is by a window, in a chair with my feet up, and a good cup of coffee at hand!

I hope you look up these poems and enjoy their complete versions for yourself.  What about you? What's a favorite poem that means something to you? Let us know in the comments. Have a wonderful New Year reading! 

 

 

 

2 comments:

Michael Rigg said...

Ah, The Cremation of Sam McGee...

There are strange things done in the midnight sun
By the men who moil for gold;
The Arctic trails have their secret tails
That would make you blood run cold;
The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
But the queerest they ever did see
Was the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge
I cremated Sam McGee.

...it just doesn't get any better than that!

Teresa Inge said...

These are great!

IS TRUTH REALLY STRANGER THAN FICTION? by Penny Hutson

  On a recent sojourn to one of my favorite places, Barnes and Noble, I found the most unusual book. While searching for anything I could fi...